As has been widely reported, Apple has announced a media event to occur next Tuesday, October 4th. Invitations sent for the event simply say “Let’s talk iPhone” and the event is largely expected to introduce new iPhone hardware.
Previously I posted my expectations of what the next iPhone hardware would look like. At the time I expected a new form factor to be introduced, however since then the only concrete evidence to emerge has indicated that the next iPhone will continue to use the iPhone 4 body style. Therefore, here are my updated predictions based on the latest inventory intel from 9to5mac (1,2).
- Internal code-name N94
- Single hardware platform for CDMA and GSM networks. Sprint to become 3rd US carrier.
- A5 processor, 1 GB of RAM
- 8 MP camera
- HSPA+ support for GSM networks.
- Slightly better battery life.
Likely to keep 16 and 32 GB capacities and price points. Update: a 64 GB model may indeed be introduced alongside existing 16 and 32 GB capacities.
- Slightly revised hardware,
code-named N92Update: code name is apparently N90A. Original iPhone was N90, with CDMA iPhone being N92.
- Likely a single hardware platform for CDMA and GSM
- 8 GB only, likely only in black
- Either $49 or $99 under contract
- Cheaper, iPod touch-grade retina display
- A4 processor